This savory skillet makes an easy and delicious dinner any night of the week (or even a savory breakfast!). I used lamb and almond flour to make a simple gluten-free meatball that pairs perfectly with braised rainbow chard and chickpeas. I love adding lemon zest and oregano to make this recipe feel fresher and brighter.
Lamb is comprised of 25-26% protein, making it a great addition to any meal plan focused on improving metabolic health. It’s also a rich source of iron, zinc, selenium, and vitamins B3 and B12.
Rainbow chard is a mild and versatile green with a variety of colors found through its stems. Just one serving gets you all the vitamin K you need in a day, plus it provides antioxidant vitamin A, vitamin C, and polyphenols.
I hope you enjoy!
Wishing you health and happiness,
Mark Hyman, MD
We're grateful for our sponsor:
- 1 pound ground lamb (grass-fed if possible)
- 1 cup yellow onion, finely chopped
- ½ cup almond flour
- 1 large pasture-raised egg
- ¾ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- ⅓ cup Italian parsley, finely chopped
Braised Rainbow Chard
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 Fresno chili, thinly sliced
- 2 bunches rainbow chard, finely chopped, stems and leaves separated
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 1 cup chicken broth, low-sodium
- ½ cup canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- ½ cup canned coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano
- Lemon zest
1. In a large mixing bowl, add ground lamb, onion, almond flour, egg, salt, pepper, and parsley. Use your hands or a spatula to combine all ingredients. Roll into 20 meatballs and set aside.
2. Heat up a cast iron skillet over medium heat. Once the skillet is hot, brown the meatballs on all sides, about 5 minutes. Remove meatballs from the skillet once done and set aside on a plate.
3. Once the meatballs are done, add the garlic, chili, and chard stems to the skillet along with any remaining juices or tidbits in the pan. Stir constantly over medium heat for about 5 minutes, then add the lemon juice and scrape the skillet using a wooden spoon.
4. Add the chicken broth followed by the chickpeas and chopped chard leaves. Once leaves are softened, about 1 minute. Create a well in the middle and add the meatballs back into the skillet to cook in the sauce. Cook for 5 minutes.
5. Add the coconut milk into the skillet and cook for 5 more minutes. Remove from heat then sprinkle with the lemon zest and oregano.
Nutritional analysis per serving: Calories: 501, Total Fat: 32g, Saturated Fat: 11g, Cholesterol: 151mg, Sodium: 780mg, Carbohydrates: 18g, Fiber: 6g,, Sugars: 5g, Protein: 35g, Net Carbs: 12g