This recipe makes an easy summer side dish to go with any of your favorite proteins. I especially love it alongside wild-caught salmon or a bison burger.
Squash is abundant this time of year, and I know many of my friends who garden have more than they know what to do with. I used zucchini, yellow summer squash, and smaller pattypan squash for this dish to offer a greater variety of colors and flavors.
Both zucchini and yellow squash are decent sources of vitamins A and C, potassium, and fiber, and they are water-rich vegetables as well. Za’atar seasoning is a blend of multiple spices with potent health benefits. Sumac provides longevity-supporting flavonoids and thyme and oregano are rich in thymol and carvacrol, two compounds with robust antioxidant and antiseptic properties.
Wishing you health and happiness,
Mark Hyman, MD
We're grateful for our sponsor:
- 3 small zucchini, washed and dried well
- 3 small summer squash, washed and dried well
- 8-10 pattypan squash (about 1 pound) (or use extra zucchini and summer squash), washed and dried well
- ⅓ cup olive oil, divided
- 2 large garlic cloves, microplaned
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced (about ¼ cup juice)
- 2 tablespoons za’atar seasoning
- ¾ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ cup fresh dill
- ¼ cup mint leaves
- 2 tablespoons pistachios (optional)
1. Preheat a large cast iron skillet, the bigger the better, over medium heat while preparing the vegetables. Trim the zucchini and squash, then split them in half lengthwise.
2. Reduce heat to low-medium and add 3 tablespoons of oil. Place the zucchini and squash cut side down in the skillet and then add the pattypan squash as well. Cook for 10 minutes, only flipping the pattypan squash, leave the zucchini and summer squash to caramelize with the cut side down the entire time.
3. While they are cooking, prepare the dressing in a bowl, combine the microplaned garlic along with the lemon juice and zest, za’atar, salt, and remaining olive oil, stir well and set aside.
4. After 10 minutes of frying the veggies should be ready. Cut the zucchini and summer squash into smaller chunks if desired, then transfer to a serving platter and drizzle the za’atar dressing over top. Garlish with dill, mint, and chopped pistachios (if desired).
Nutritional analysis per serving: Calories: 158, Total Fat: 14g, Saturated Fat: 2g, Cholesterol: 0mg, Sodium: 321mg, Carbohydrates: 8g, Fiber: 3g, Sugars: 5g, Protein: 3g, Net Carbs: 5g