Author Archive | Mark Hyman, MD

Is It Possible to Truly Heal From Trauma?

      Trauma comes in many forms, and it’s something we’re all going to face at one point or another. Though it might seem in the moment that we should push away negative feelings and pretend everything is fine, true healing can’t happen unless we open ourselves to our traumatic experiences and work through them. […]

Age better by harnessing the power of sirtuins

Have you ever stopped to think about what you want aging to look like for your unique body? It might be easy to automatically jump to a fantasy of never aging at all, but if we take time to set our actual standards for aging we’re more likely to reach them. For example, I want […]

Supporting the Vaginal Microbiome, The Root Cause of Acne, and Why Your Dog Has Leaky Gut with Kiran Krishnan

Download MP3 What do women’s health, dirt, and household pets have in common? More than you might think. When it comes to all living things, bacteria play a major role. Now, with emerging research in the microbiome contained within the soil, animals, and our bodies, we are able to find fascinating and helpful links for […]

Death Is Inevitable But Aging Is Not

       Age is not the definitive factor it’s made out to be when it comes to our health.  We can use our age as a baseline for tracking our health and longevity, but it isn’t stagnant. For example, certain types of testing can help us compare our biological age to our calendar age in […]

Could bacteria impact neurological health?

You might be surprised to learn that only 1% of the unique genes in our bodies are human—the other 99% comes from our microbiome.  Microorganisms like bacteria, viruses, and even fungi make up our microbiome, largely residing in the gut but also colonizing our skin, nasal and oral cavities, and other parts of the body. […]

A Step-by-Step Approach to Personalizing Your Diet with Chris Kresser

Download MP3 We all know there are universal rules to follow when it comes to eating a healthy diet, but personalization should be at the top of the list. While we have a lot in common as human beings and there are certain nutritional guidelines applicable to all of us, we’re different in important ways […]

Have We Discovered the Cause of Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s, and ALS?

       The gut and brain are strongly interconnected. That’s why in Functional Medicine we always take the gut into account, along with the rest of the body, when trying to understand a brain disease. Unfortunately, conventional medicine likes to look at each part of the body separately, which may be why doctors have a […]

Improve Your Emotional Intelligence to Find Success

When it comes to success, we’re often led to believe a high IQ is required, but what about a high EQ, or emotional quotient?  Emotional intelligence may actually be more important for reaching our goals, becoming successful, and providing strong leadership than intellect alone. In fact, the majority of high performers have been found to score […]

Mirror Neurons, Empathy and Connected Parenting with Jennifer Kolari

Download MP3 I know many of you can relate to the challenges in parenting. Sometimes our emotions take over, our own past experiences drive big reactions, or we just can’t get through to our kids the way we want.  One thing that we forget to stop and think about, though, is that children’s brains aren’t […]

Meditation, Kindness, and Compassion: The Secret to Your Life and Financial Abundance

       You may have heard about emotional intelligence, but have you really ever paused to think about where you fall on the spectrum, and how it’s influencing your relationships and place in the world? It actually impacts everything, from our family lives to our leadership abilities and careers. But it’s something we’re never taught […]

Start Fighting Food Waste, Today

Food waste is one of the largest problems of our time. In fact, about 30% of all food produced globally (1.3 billion tons) is wasted.  In this US alone, it’s upwards of 40%. If we could recover and redistribute that wasted food, we’d have enough to feed 190 million adults.  Sadly, because of quality standards […]

A Simple but Profound Solution to Food Waste

       Sometimes the best ideas are the most simple. In an age where technology is ever-evolving and often responsible for the latest inventions, it can be easy to forget that even the most basic of ideas can add up to massive change. But it’s accessible, small steps that our food system needs now, more […]