To trim the asparagus, break the root end off of one of the asparagus stalks. It will break where the asparagus starts to become woody. With a knife trim the remaining asparagus stalks to match the length of the broken one so you are left with tender stalks of asparagus in a quick way.
- 4 Shallots
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 Bunch Asparagus trimmed
- 1/2 Teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- 1 Teaspoon Fresh Thyme
- 1 Teaspoon Fresh Basil
- 1/2 Teaspoon Sea Salt
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In an oven safe pan add the shallots and a small amount of the olive oil. Roast in oven for 25–30 minutes or until the shallots start to become golden brown and soft. Stir them as needed to brown evenly.
- Remove and slice into large rings and place in a bowl, keep warm.
- Bring a small pot of water to a boil and cook the asparagus for 3–4 minutes or until tender. Drain and arrange on a plate or platter.
- Add the remaining olive oil, cayenne pepper, fresh herbs, and salt to the shallots and combine. Pour over asparagus and serve.