Massaging finely chopped kale with lemon and olive oil breaks down the kale’s stiffness and bitterness, leaving you with tender greens bursting with flavor. Don’t skimp on the chopping! Not having to chew through large pieces of raw kale increases your eating pleasure.
- 1 Large Bunch Kale stemmed and finely chopped
- 1 Zest and Juice Large Lemon
- 1/4 Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Clove Garlic minced
- 1/8 Teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1/4 Cup Toasted Pine Nuts
- 1/4 Cup Currants
- 1/2 Cup Kalamata Olives chopped and pitted
- Place the kale in a large salad bowl and add the lemon zest and juice, olive oil, garlic, and salt. Massage the mixture with your hands for 1–2 minutes to soften the kale.
- Add the remaining ingredients and toss to combine.
- Allow the salad to rest and soften for about 15 minutes before serving. Kale salad is best if eaten the same day but can be stored overnight in the refrigerator.
Nutritional analysis per serving (1 cup)
calories 227 • fat 21 g • saturated fat 3 g • cholesterol 0 mg • fiber 3 g • protein 4 g • carbohydrate 11 g • sodium 234 mg