Toxic mold is more common than you may think. Mold exposure causes a variety of health problems like hormonal imbalances, brain fog, headaches, asthma, fatigue, insomnia, nausea, hair loss, and autoimmunity, to name a few. It all begins with a feeling that something is “off.”
On today’s Broken Brain Podcast, our host, Dhru, talks to Dr. Ann Shippy, a physician, scientist, engineer, and mom. She is also the author of Shippy Paleo Essentials and the Mold Toxicity Workbook. In this podcast, we talk about all things mold including the unrecognized consequences of mold toxicity, the many illnesses triggered by mold, and how it isn’t always obvious when mold is present. We discuss what to do if you have toxic mold exposure, lab testing for mold toxicity, testing for your home, and how to eliminate symptoms and restore your health.
In this episode, we dive into:
- Dr. Shippy’s own health challenges with mold toxicity (5:03)
- What is mold and what do we need to know for our health (7:40)
- The long term effects of mold on our body (14:25)
- Mold and the connection to Alzheimer’s and Dementia (16:12)
- Symptoms of mold toxicity (20:50)
- Common places you might find mold even though you might not see it or smell it (23:50)
- The best way to locate a potential issue in your home (28:26)
- Testing for mold toxicity in our body (34:04)
- What Dr. Shippy did to heal from mold toxicity (41:32)
- What you can do if you suspect you have mold or mold exposure (46:13)
- How to find a professional to test for mold and questions to ask the inspector (48:18)
- Dr. Shippy’s air filter recommendations (56:57)
- The connection between mold, fungal infections, and Alzheimer’s (58:33)
- Alternative therapies for mold exposure (1:02:03)
- Learn more about Dr. Shippy and her work (1:08:50)
I know you’ll love this episode of The Broken Brain Podcast as much as I did.
Wishing you health and happiness,
Mark Hyman, MD
PS – Check out my interview here with Jason Wachob of mindbodygreen where I talk about my own health crisis with mold toxicity.
For more on Dr. Ann Shippy, be sure to follow her on Instagram @AnnShippyMD, Facebook at @AnnShippyMD and Twitter @AnnShippyMD. Check out her website https://annshippymd.com. Download Dr. Shippy’s Could it Be Mold Fact Sheet and Resources here. You can also find her books Shippy Paleo Essentials and Mold Toxicity Workbook, right here. Lastly, here are Dr. Shippy’s air filter recommendations: https://www.iqair.com and https://www.airdoctorpro.com.