Americans are living longer, but studies show we haven’t made progress with decreasing the level of disability that comes at the end of life.
Luckily, there are plenty of preventative measures we can take to support health as we age and prevent the onset of dis-ease. That’s why, as I prepare to turn 60 this year, I’m more interested than ever in the science of longevity, especially because I plan to just keep getting younger.
I want to stay high-functioning as I age, which means feeling sharp, energized, balanced—and sexually vital. That’s why I do everything I can to approach my health on multiple angles, like nutrition, exercise, stress management, and even checking in with a doctor, despite being one.
That goal to age well and stay on top of my health led me to my guest on this episode of The Doctor’s Farmacy, Dr. George Shapiro.
Dr. Shapiro has been a practicing physician for 30 years, specializing in internal medicine, cardiovascular disease, and age management medicine. Dr. Shapiro was the recipient of the 10th Annual Alan P. Mintz, MD Award, for Clinical Excellence in Age Management Medicine, as he has become known nationwide as an expert in age management medicine, and leads one of the most prominent age management practices in the country as president of Cenegenics New York City. He has long been known as one of New York’s foremost cardiologists, specializing in regenerative medicine and improving longevity, including the genomics of cardiovascular disease and congestive heart failure.
Here’s what you can expect to hear on this episode:
- Statin drugs, the American College of Cardiology’s revised guidelines for prescribing these drugs and the future of treating heart disease (6:44)
- Restoring the endocrine system to promote healthy aging and why belly fat is so dangerous (11:40)
- Use of natural peptides to encourage your body to make growth hormones (17:30)
- How diet can negatively affect your hormones and overall health (18:05)
- The importance of estrogen in men and women and hormone replacement therapy (21:08)
- Current innovations in regenerative medicine, including stem cells, peptides and exosomes (26:43)
- Scope of sexual dysfunction issues that Dr. Shapiro sees in his patients and how cardiovascular issues, sugar and alcohol consumption are related to erectile dysfunction (37:41)
- GainsWave low-intensity shock wave treatment to optimize men’s health and performance (41:25)
- My personal test results from my doctor’s visit with Dr. Shapiro (49:48)
- Avoiding frailty as you age (1:01:48)
We talk about all this and more in this episode of The Doctor’s Farmacy. I hope you’ll tune in.
Wishing you health and happiness,
Mark Hyman, MD
PS – For more information on Dr. George Shapiro, you can follow him on Facebook, on Twitter @DrGeorgeShapiro and on Instagram @drgeorgeshapiro. Learn more about Precision Medical Associates at https://www.precisionmedicalassociates.com, on Facebook, on Instagram @precisionmedicalnyc, on Twitter @PrecisionMedNY and on LinkedIn at https://www.linkedin.com/company/precisionmedical/. You can find out more about Cenegenics at www.cenegenicsnewyork.com. Learn about GainsWave by visiting https://gainswave.com/. Visit http://peptideinfo.org/ for information about Tailor Made Compounding.