So many Functional Medicine practitioners like myself have gone through their own healing crisis.
For me, it was a total brain and body breakdown 30 years ago due to mercury poisoning from when I lived in China. For my good friend and fellow Functional Medicine doctor Elizabeth Boham, it was triple-negative breast cancer diagnosed at the young age of 30, despite already embracing many principles of a healthy life.
Going through these experiences has led us to want to help others heal on the deepest level, which is what brought us both to the power using Functional Medicine and food and lifestyle choices to truly heal.
This week on The Doctor’s Farmacy, Dr. Boham joins me to discuss what it means to get to the root cause of disease and how the principles we practice do exactly that.
Dr. Boham is a physician and nutritionist who practices Functional Medicine as part of my team at The UltraWellness Center in Lenox, MA. Through her practice and lecturing, she has helped thousands of people achieve their wellness goals. She is part of the faculty of the Institute for Functional Medicine and has been featured on the Dr. Oz show and in a variety of publications and media including Huffington Post, The Chalkboard Magazine, and Experience Life. Her DVD Breast Wellness: Tools to Prevent and Heal from Breast Cancer explores the Functional Medicine approach to keeping your breasts and whole body well, a topic she is passionate about as a breast cancer survivor.
This episode of The Doctor’s Farmacy is brought to you by Theragun and by Thrive Market.
The Theragun has quickly become one of my favorite tools to relieve my muscle soreness and give my body a deep massage at home. It’s a percussive therapy tool and handheld device that helps to relieve tension and increases blood flow to sore areas. I like to use it after training, yoga, sports, and even just on off days or if I’m sitting for too long. The Theragun has made a huge difference in my recovery, and I know you’re going to love it too. If you order right now you’ll get two free attachments with your purchase for a $40 savings, just go to http://theragun.com/drhyman.
Thrive Market has made it so easy for me to stay healthy, even with my intense travel schedule. I never let myself get into a food emergency. Instead, I always carry enough food with me when I’m on the go, for at least a full day. I order real, whole foods online from Thrive Market. Right now, Thrive is offering all Doctor’s Farmacy listeners a great deal: you will receive an extra 25% off your first purchase plus a free 30-day membership to Thrive. There’s no minimum amount to buy and no code at checkout. All you have to do is head over to http://thrivemarket.com/farmacy.
Here are more of the details from this episode (video/audio):
- Dr. Boham’s breast cancer diagnosis and how it eventually led her to practice Functional Medicine (2:27 / 7:31)
- How to create a terrain in your body where cancer is less likely to grow (11:00 / 16:04)
- The breast cancer-gut connection and the importance of hormone metabolism (17:34 / 22:38)
- The value of nutritional testing and how it has helped Dr. Boham and me treat patients with autism (24:24 / 29:28)
- How Dr. Boham treated a patient with chronic gut issues (37:57 / 43:01)
- Treating patients using food as medicine (44:10 / 49:14)
- Heavy metals, low level chronic toxicity, and why Dr. Boham had her silver amalgam fillings removed from her teeth (49:09 / 54:13)
- How I treated a patient with ulcerative colitis (58:53 / 1:03:57)
- How and why we use intravenous nutrition at The UltraWellness Center (1:00:42 / 1:05:46)
Learn more about working with Dr. Elizabeth Boham at The UltraWellness Center at https://www.ultrawellnesscenter.com/team-member/elizabeth-boham-md-ms-rd/ and https://www.ultrawellnesscenter.com/.
We talk about all this and much more. Functional Medicine holds so much promise for true healing; I hope you’ll tune in to learn more.
Wishing you health and happiness,
Mark Hyman, MD