Smoothies are a great way to start the day! When properly prepared like this one, smoothies can be nutrient dense and full of protein, vitamins, minerals, and healthy fats. This Spicy Cucumber Mint Smoothie is not only delicious, it also activates the metabolism, sustains energy levels, and stabilizes blood sugar. Click here to view PDF version.
Note: To activate the enzymes in the seeds and nuts in any smoothie recipe, you can soak them ahead of time. Doing so also makes them more easily digestible. Fill a bowl with enough filtered water to cover the seeds or nuts and soak for at least 30 minutes, preferably overnight if time permits.
- 1/2 teaspoon extra-virgin coconut oil
- 1/2-inch piece fresh ginger root, peeled
- 1 tablespoon raw almond butter
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds (see note above)
- 1/4 cup hemp seeds (see note above)
- 1/4 avocado
- 1/4 cucumber, peeled
- 1/4 lime, peeled and seeded
- 1 kale leaf, stem removed
- 1 cup filtered water
- 2 to 3 ice cubes, depending on how cold you like your drinks
- 8 to 10 chopped fresh mint leaves
- optional: 1/4 jalapeño chili, seeds removed
- Combine all the ingredients in a blender, blend on high speed until smooth.
- Pour the smoothie into your favorite glass and enjoy!
Nutritional analysis per serving (2 cups)
calories 437 • fat 35 g • saturated fat 5 g • cholesterol 0 mg • fiber 10 g • protein 18 g • carbohydrate 20 g • sodium 21 mg