Nutritional analysis per serving: calories 467, carbohydrates 34.8 g, fiber 16.0 g, protein 39.8 g, fat 17.2 g, cholesterol 73 mg, sodium 112 mg, calcium 78 mg.
Lentil and Chicken Stew Recipe
- Yield: 4 Servings
- Ready In:
Nutritional analysis per serving: calories 467, carbohydrates 34.8 g, fiber 16.0 g, protein 39.8 g, fat 17.2 g, cholesterol 73 mg, …
- 2 Tablespoons Sesame Oil
- 1 Small Onion diced
- 2 Stalks Celery diced
- 2 Small Carrots diced
- 2 Cloves Garlic
- 1 Tablespoon Tomato Paste
- 2 Large Organic Skinless Chicken Breasts bone-in
- 1 Tablespoon Za'atar Spice Mix
- 1 Teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1/4 Cup Cooking Wine white or red
- 1 Cup French Lentils
- 5 Cups Water or Stock
- 2 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- In a large pot, heat the sesame oil on medium heat and then sauté the onions, celery, and carrots until soft. Add the garlic and tomato paste and continue to sauté a few minutes. Add the chicken, za’atar (or other herbs), and salt and sauté a few minutes until the vegetables begin to stick to the pan.
- Deglaze the pan with the wine (to do this, splash the wine on the bits that have stuck to the pan during sautéing, then scrape the pan to release the bits and the flavor). Add the lentils and water or stock. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer for 45 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through and the lentils are soft.
- During cooking, the chicken may fall off the bones. Remove the bones before serving. Splash the olive oil on top of the chicken just before serving. Serve with roasted quinoa with kale and almonds.
- *Note: za’atar is a middle eastern spice made with sumac, thyme, and sesame seeds. If your local food stores do not carry it, simply substitute equal parts thyme, oregano, and sesame seeds.