Tofu and Cashew Stir-Fry Over Basmati Rice
- 1/2 Head Broccoli stems included
- 1 Pound Firm Tofu
- 1 1/2 Tablespoon Sesame Oil
- 1 Tablespoon Ginger minced
- 2 Cloves Garlic minced
- 1 Large Carrot cut into matchsticks
- 1 Cup Bok Choy sliced
- 1 Tablespoon Wheat-free Tamari
- 1 Teaspoon Toasted Sesame Oil
- 1 Cup Snow Peas
- 3/4 Cup Whole Raw Cashews
- 1 Teaspoon Hot Sauce or 1Teaspoon Hoisin Sauce, optional
- Press your tofu. Set a layer of 5-6 paper towels on a plate. Add tofu and top with more paper towels. Place three or four more plates on top and let sit for 20-30 minutes. This will press the excess water out of the tofu. But watch your plates! You don’t want them to topple and break (some use books to avoid this but I’m a plate girl myself).
- Cook the rice according to package directions. You’ll want to start the rice first because it may take the longest to cook.
- Prep (IMPORTANT!) Cut all of your veggies ahead of time! This is key with stir-fries, which cook super fast once you get them going. And it’s especially important with this recipe because you’ll have two pans going at once.
- Make the sauce. To a small bowl, add the tamari or soy sauce, honey, rice vinegar, chili-garlic sauce, and ginger. Mix until combined. Set aside.
- Coat the tofu/chicken. Add the tofu to one gallon-size ziplock bag and the chicken to another. Add the 2 tablespoons corn starch, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper to each bag. Seal and gently shake each bag to coat all of the pieces of tofu/meat with cornstarch.
- Cook the tofu and chicken. You’ll want to start the tofu about 3 minutes before you start the chicken because the tofu takes a bit longer to cook. Set a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon sesame oil and 1 tablespoon olive oil to the pan. When the oil is hot, add the tofu. Cook, stirring occasionally. After 3 minutes, set another large non-stick skillet on another burner over medium-high heat. Add the remaining oil. When the oil is hot, add the chicken. Cook both the tofu and chicken, stirring/flipping occasionally, about 4-5 more minutes until the tofu is browned and the chicken is just about cooked through. (I use a designated spoon for each one so there’s no cross-contamination).
- Add the veggies. Divide the broccoli, bell peppers, edamame, and garlic between the two pans. Cook 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the veggies are getting tender.
- Add the cashews, sauce, and scallions. Divide the cashews between the pans and cook, stirring occasionally, for another minute. Lower the heat to medium-low and divide the sauce between the two pans. Stir to combine, then let simmer for about 2 minutes, until the sauce has thickened and reduced slightly. Stir in the scallions, then remove from heat and …
- Serve. Scoop rice onto individual plates, scoop stir fry over rice, and eat!
- Leftover instructions: Stir fry keeps for about 3 days. Store refrigerated in an airtight container.
Nutritional analysis per serving
calories 354 • carbohydrates 24.4 g • fiber 7.5 g • protein 18.3 g • fat 23.5 g • cholesterol 0 m • sodium 601 mg • calcium 365 mg