There is nothing like a great massaged kale salad. When your body is craving greens, this is one of the best kinds of salads to make. Filled with beautiful colors and plenty of phytonutrients, this is the perfect salad to go with any meal or have on its own. Click here for printable PDF.
- 1 bunch of kale, stems removed, leaves cut into smaller pieces (about 2 handfuls)
- 1 cup flat leaf parsley leaves (about ½ a bunch)
- ¼ cup pumpkin seeds
- ½ cup chopped cucumbers
- 8 cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- ¼ cup chopped pitted kalamata olives
- ¼ cup sauerkraut (Recommended brands: Rejuvenate Foods or Eden Foods)
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2-3 edible flowers (Look for calendula, violets or nasturtium in the herb section at your local natural food store)
- Add kale and parsley to a large mixing bowl. Add the salt and olive oil. Using your hands, mix the greens with the salt and oil, and then massage to soften up the greens. This takes about 2 minutes; you want the greens to appear wilted. Set the greens aside while you prep the remaining ingredients.
- Place the pumpkin seeds in a dry sauté pan over medium heat. As the pan heats up, saute the seeds until they start to brown and begin to pop. Stir often to prevent burning. Transfer the pumpkin seeds to a sheet pan and set aside to cool to room temperature. Then prepare the remaining vegetables and the sauerkraut.
- Once the greens have wilted, add the vegetables and sauerkrat to the bowl and stir to combine.
- Serve and garnish with the edible flowers.
Nutritional analysis per serving
Calories 458 • Total fat 34 g • Fiber 14 g • Protein 12 g • Sodium 782 mg