Adding a tossed green salad to any meal is a great way to increase your vegetables. Dark leafy salad greens are packed with nutrition. The darker the leaves, the better the nutrients – so pass on the iceberg. With so many varieties of greens at the market today, experiment and try some new ones! When choosing the oil for the vinaigrette, remember to select unrefined or minimally refined, healthy artisanal varieties – or look for naturally flavored oils to increase the flavor profile. For an entrée salad, add your favorite protein, such as grilled chicken or tofu.
- Ingredients for the salad:
- 8 cups dark leafy greens
- 1 avocado, pitted and sliced or diced
- Handful of chopped nuts or seeds
- Ingredients for the vinaigrette:
- 3 tablespoons oil of choice (extra-virgin olive oil, avocado, walnut, pumpkin seed, pistachio, etc.)
- 1 tablespoon vinegar of choice (red wine, white wine, unseasoned rice, Balsamic, apple cider, raspberry, etc.) Can substitute with fresh lemon or lime juice.
- Pinch sea salt
- Pinch fresh ground black pepper
- Optional dressing ingredients for added flavor:
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped or grated
- 1 to 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
Whisk the oil and the vinegar together until combined. Add the salt and pepper and any optional ingredients, as desired, and whisk together.
Divide the salad greens among 4 plates, add the avocado and nuts and drizzle 1 tablespoon of vinaigrette to each salad.
Nutritional analysis per serving (2 cups salad, 1 tablespoon dressing):
calories 190 • fat 18 g • saturated fat 3 g • cholesterol 0 mg • fiber 5 g • protein 2 g • carbohydrate 7 g • sodium 150 mg