The fall season is here and so are the cravings for warm, comforting foods. This time of year is perfect for hearty soups and easy, filling weeknight meals. And while this may have you thinking about mac-and-cheese, spaghetti, and other refined carbohydrate dishes, I want to give you a simple, healthy alternative.
Today’s Indian inspired recipe comes from Bella Sangar of Village Kitchen Seattle. This is a great complement to just about any meal. Enjoy this recipe hot, warm, or chilled. Click here to view PDF version.
- 1 pound golden beets, peeled and quartered
- 1 pound white turnips, peeled and quartered
- 1 pound red onions, sliced
- 1 pound organic carrots, peeled and sliced
- 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro (optional)
- Peel and slice all vegetables as directed. Rinse, dry, and set aside.
- Combine all spices with the olive oil. Toss all the vegetables in the spice mixture and spread over a full sheet pan, careful not to layer.
- Roast for 30 to 40 minutes on 350°F, until beets are tender and onions are perfectly browned.
Nutritional analysis per serving (one-sixth of the recipe)
calories 188g • fat 12 g • protein 3 g • carbohydrate 20 g • sodium 264 mg