This week we are featuring a recipe from my friend and colleague, Dr. Susan Blum. This delicious zucchini pasta with green harissa sauce packs a lot of flavor, is vegan and Paleo friendly. Click here for PDF version.
Zucchini “Pasta” with Green Harissa Sauce
- For the Green Harissa Sauce:
- 1 packed cup flat leaf parsley leaves
- 1⁄2 cup cilantro leaves
- 1⁄4 cup mint leaves
- 2 medium cloves garlic
- Juice from half a lemon
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- For the Zucchini “Pasta”:
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 scallions, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1 cup fresh or defrosted
- frozen baby peas
- 3 cups shaved or “spiralized”
- zucchini (If you don’t own a spiralizer, you can use a vegetable peeler and peel long,thin strips of zucchini)
- 2 cups baby spinach, stems trimmed
- Sea salt and black pepper, freshly ground
- To make the sauce: Place all ingredients except the olive oil into a blender and blend until smooth.
- While the blender is running, slowly add the oil until incorporated.
- Stir in the salt and pepper to taste and set aside.
- To make the pasta: Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat until shimmering, about 3 minutes.
- Add the scallions and peas and sauté for about 3 minutes. (If peas are frozen, add and additional minute.)
- Stir in the zucchini and spinach and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add the salt and pepper, to taste.
- Add the Green Harissa Sauce and stir well to mix the sauce throughout the vegetables.
Nutritional analysis per serving
calories 220 • fat 20g • sodium 190mg • carbohydrate 9g • protein 5g • fiber 3g • sugar 2g