This week’s recipe comes from Diana Rodgers at Sustainable Dish, who is a Licensed Registered Dietitian Nutritionist, organic farmer, and blogger on all things sustainable. Her Vietnamese “Noodle” Salad with Grilled Steak, Peaches, and Herbs is incredibly flavorful and a healthier alternative to traditional noodle dishes, thanks to the use of crunchy cucumbers instead. Grass-fed steak is always a better choice than conventional, and when using it as a condiment within a plant-rich meal you get a great dose of iron, B vitamins, and protein along with mouth-watering flavor. The cilantro, mint, scallions, and basil in this recipe add a fresh, springtime note while the peaches provide a contrasting sweetness and nice boost of vitamin C. Get the PDF version here.
- 1 1/2 lbs grass-fed flank steak
- sea salt and black pepper
- 3 peaches or nectarines
- Juice of 2 limes
- 1/4 cup fish sauce
- 1/3 cup apple juice
- 1 jalapeno pepper, minced
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro leaves
- 6 cups crunchy lettuce (like romaine), chopped
- 3 cucumbers, spun into noodles
- 1 cup chopped fresh mint leaves
- 1 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- 3 scallions, chopped
- 2/3 cup chopped cashews
- Bring your steak to room temperature, season both sides with salt and pepper.
- Heat your grill to medium-high heat.
- Grill steak to medium-rare, about 10 min on one side then 2 min on the other.
- Transfer steak to a cutting board and allow to rest for 10 minutes.
- Grill peaches for about 2 minutes each side, watching carefully so they don't burn. Transfer peaches to a plate.
- While the steak is cooking, make your dressing by combining the lime juice, fish sauce, apple juice, jalapeño pepper, ginger, garlic, and cilantro in a bowl.
- Slice the cooked steak thinly against the grain and place it in the dressing. Allow to sit in dressing for at least 20 minutes.
- On a platter, place the chopped lettuce down as your first layer, then top with the cucumbers, steak, peaches, the fresh mint and basil, scallions, and finally with the chopped cashews.
- Right before serving, top the salad with remaining dressing.
Nutritional analysis per serving (if serving 6)
calories 402 • fat 19g • carbohydrate 23g • sugar 12g • protein 19g