The difference between an ordinary plate of greens and an incredible, satiating salad is what you put on it. Same for that platter of veggies—the right dip can take them to a whole new level.
So, this week I’m sharing four of my favorite quick and easy recipes for dips and dressings that will help you turn any ordinary meal into a mouth-watering work of art. With no cooking required! The Whipped Garlic Dill Dip and Coconut Avocado Dip can be used to top virtually anything, while the Miso Ginger Dressing is great on salads, lettuce wraps, or as a marinade for fish. The Pomegranate Sumac Dressing is perfect drizzled on greens, roasted veggies, lamb, or beef.
I love using homemade condiments like these to avoid inflammatory oils and get maximum polyphenol benefits from things like olive oil, fresh herbs, and spices.
Wishing you health and happiness,
Mark Hyman, MD
Whipped Garlic Dill Dip
- 3/4 cup fresh garlic cloves, peeled
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- 1 cup avocado oil
- 1/3 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1/3 cup fresh dill
Miso Ginger Dressing
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup filtered water
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 (3-inch) piece ginger root, peeled
- 1 ½ tablespoons organic white miso
- 1 ½ tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon coconut aminos
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- ⅛ teaspoon sea salt
Pomegranate Sumac Dressing
- 1/4 cup red onion, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons red wind vinegar
- 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1/4 cup fresh mint leaves, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon sumac
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Coconut Avocado Dip
- 1 large ripe avocado, peeled and pitted
- ¼ cup no added sugar coconut yogurt
- 2 tablespoons toasted pine nuts
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro
- 1 large garlic clove, peeled
- 1 tablespoon jalapeño pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons champagne vinegar or coconut vinegar
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- ¼ cup filtered water (adjust according to desired consistency)
Whipped Garlic Dill Spread:
1. Use fresh garlic that doesn’t have any green sprouts. Slice off the base of each clove and soak the cloves in ice water for 30 minutes, this removes bitterness. This process can be done up to 24 hours in advance and kept in the refrigerator.
2. Drain the garlic. Combine the garlic, salt, and flax in a food processor (high-speed blenders are not optimal for this). Mix the garlic while slowly pouring in half of the oil, one tablespoon at a time. Scrape down the sides as necessary. Reserve the other half of the oil for the next step.
3. Once the garlic and oil have emulsified, alternate between adding lemon juice and the rest of the remaining oil while continuing to mix.
4. Toss the dill fronds into the processor, pulse several times until it is lightly chopped and mixed into the whipped garlic.
Nutritional analysis (per tablespoon) Calories: 102, Total Fat: 11g, Saturated Fat: 1g, Cholesterol: 0mg, Fiber: 0g, Protein: 0g, Carbohydrates: 2g, Sodium: 56mg, Sugars: 0g, Net Carbs: 2g
Miso Ginger Dressing:
1. Toss everything in a blender and blend until smooth. Alternatively, finely grate the ginger and combine all of the ingredients in a mixing bowl, whisk until smooth.
Nutritional analysis (per tablespoon) Calories: 45, Total Fat: 4g, Saturated Fat: 1g, Cholesterol: 0mg, Fiber: 0g, Protein: 0g, Carbohydrates: 1g, Sodium: 118mg, Sugars: 1g, Net Carbs: 1g
Pomegranate Sumac Dressing:
1. Add the minced onions, lemon juice, and red wine vinegar to a bowl, leave to pickle for 10 minutes.
2. Add the remaining ingredients, stir to combine.
Nutritional analysis (per tablespoon) Calories: 6, Total Fat: 0g, Saturated Fat: 0g, Cholesterol: 0mg, Fiber: 1g, Protein: 0g, Carbohydrates: 1g, Sodium: 44mg, Sugars: 1g, Net Carbs: 0g
Coconut Avocado Dip:
1. Add all of the ingredients into a high-speed blender and blend until smooth. For a thinner consistency, add water slowly until desired consistency is achieved.
Nutritional analysis (per tablespoon) Calories: 31, Total Fat: 3g, Saturated Fat: 0g, Cholesterol: 0mg, Fiber: 1g, Protein: 0g, Carbohydrates: 1g, Sodium: 25.5mg, Sugars: 0g, Net Carbs: 0g