I love recipes that can be made any time of day and this frittata is a great example. It’s loaded with some peak seasonal veggies like zucchini, yellow squash, and sweet potatoes, and takes only 10 minutes to prepare before tossing in the oven.
I usually use sheep or goat feta in this recipe, but you can always omit that if you prefer. Either way, you get a super protein-rich meal from all the pasture-raised eggs, which are also a great source of beta-carotene for immune and skin health, vitamin E for antioxidant support, and anti-inflammatory omega-3 fatty acids.
I know this recipe will become a go-to for your family.
Wishing you health and happiness,
Mark Hyman, MD
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled
- 2 medium zucchini
- 2 medium yellow squash
- 1 small red onion, peeled
- 3 tablespoons ghee
- 1 teaspoon Himalayan pink salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 12 large pasture-raised eggs
- 4 ounces sheep or goat feta cheese (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 450°F.
2. Slice the sweet potatoes into ⅛-inch rounds using a mandoline or sharp knife. Repeat this process with the zucchini, squash, and onion.
3. Arrange the vegetables, standing up, in a circular pattern that follows the edge of a 12-inch cast-iron skillet.
4. Melt ghee in a small bowl and combine with the salt and pepper. Pour half of the ghee over the vegetables. Cover the skillet and transfer to bake in the oven for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes remove the cover and continue baking for 15 more minutes.
5. While the vegetables are roasting, whisk the eggs until smooth in a mixing bowl.
6. When the vegetables have baked for 30 minutes, remove from the oven and pour the rest of the ghee into the skillet, trying to coat all the surfaces of the skillet. Pour the whisked eggs into the skillet and top with feta (if using).
7. Bake for 5-10 minutes, until the frittata is slightly puffed and just set, you can check for doneness by poking a knife in the center to see if it comes out clean. When done, remove from the oven, allow to cool slightly and serve warm or at room temperature.
Nutritional analysis per serving Calories: 311, Total Fat: 21g, Saturated Fat: 10g, Cholesterol: 403mg, Sodium: 758mg, Carbohydrates: 15g, Fiber: 3g, Sugars: 6g, Protein: 17g, Net Carbs: 12g