This warm porridge makes a super satisfying and nutrient-dense breakfast. It’s filled with sunflower, pumpkin, chia, hemp, flax, and poppy seeds providing a variety of vitamins and minerals with healthy fats and protein to power up your day.
Steel cut oats create a thick texture with beta-glucans, a type of soluble fiber, and also provide iron, protein, and B vitamins. The blackberry compote on top offers vitamins C and K with antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. This is one the whole family will love.
Wishing you health and happiness,
Mark Hyman, MD
- 1 ½ cups filtered water
- ⅓ cup organic gluten-free steel cut oats
- ⅛ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup vanilla nut milk of choice, unsweetened
- ¼ cup raw sunflower seeds
- ⅓ cup raw pumpkin seeds
- ¼ cup chia seeds
- ¼ cup hemp seeds
- 2 tablespoons whole flaxseed
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1 ½ cups frozen blackberries
- ½ cup filtered water
1. Bring the water, oats, salt, and cinnamon to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer for about 15-20 minutes until the liquids have evaporated and the oats are fully cooked. Stir occasionally to avoid burning.
2. To prepare the blackberry compote, add all of the ingredients to a saucepan and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes or until blackberries are softened. Remove from heat and set aside.
3. Once the oats have finished cooking, add the vanilla nut milk (or for a creamier porridge, use canned coconut milk). Bring to a boil for 30 seconds, then remove from heat and add the remaining porridge ingredients, stir well to combine.
4. To serve, divide the porridge into four bowls, garnish with a spoonful of blackberry compote and a pinch of cinnamon.
Nutritional analysis per serving: Calories: 346, Total Fat: 23g, Saturated Fat: 3g, Cholesterol: 0mg, Sodium: 104mg, Carbohydrates: 26g, Fiber: 12g, Sugars: 4g, Protein: 14g, Net Carbs: 14g