With these Easy Fish Lettuce Tacos, you get a complete meal on the table in just 25 minutes. They bring together the perfect bite of refreshing herbs like parsley, oregano, and mint, along with juicy tomatoes, crunchy jicama, and savory cod.
Cod is a good lean source of protein (about 20 grams per 3 ounces) as well as B vitamins, like B12 which benefits red blood cells, DNA, and is essential for producing the mood-enhancing neurotransmitters serotonin and dopamine.
Butterhead lettuce, which can also be called Bibb or Boston lettuce, creates a tender and low-carb wrap for these simple tacos. These leaves are especially rich in vitamin K, and also contain some vitamin A and folate.
If you’re short on time but looking for a healthy meal, this recipe is perfect. I hope you enjoy!
Wishing you health and happiness,
Mark Hyman, MD
- 2 (6-ounce) cod filets, skinless (wild-caught if possible)
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 3 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh mint leaves, chopped
- 1 medium tomato, finely diced
- ⅓ cup jicama, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 1 lime, juiced (about 2 tablespoons)
- 12 lettuce leaves (we used butter lettuce)
- ½ medium avocado, sliced thinly
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F. Cut the cod into bite-sized pieces and place in a bowl along with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and sea salt. Toss to coat then transfer to a parchment paper lined baking sheet and spread out evenly.
2. While the oven is heating, combine the parsley, oregano, mint, tomato, jicama, and capers in a mixing bowl along with the remaining olive oil. Add the lime juice, then stir to combine to create a salsa. Set aside.
3. Transfer fish into the oven and bake for 7 minutes. While the fish is in the oven, arrange the lettuce leaves (2 per taco, totaling 3 tacos per person). After the cod has baked for 7 minutes, change the setting of the oven to broil and broil for 2 minutes. Remove after 2 minutes of broiling and prepare the tacos.
4. Assemble the tacos by placing 2-3 avocado slices in each lettuce wrap and top with the baked cod. Garnish with the tomato herb salsa and serve with lime wedges if desired, eat immediately.
Nutritional analysis per serving: Calories: 420, Total Fat: 27g, Saturated Fat: 4g, Cholesterol: 73mg, Sodium: 519mg, Carbohydrates: 13g, Fiber: 6g, Sugars: 5g, Protein: 33g, Net Carbs: 7g