Pomegranates get a little more glory this time of year and I fully support it. They are a powerhouse of polyphenols and something I use intentionally to support the good gut bacteria Akkermansia muciniphila, which encourages healing and integrity of the gut lining.
This creamy blend of frozen zucchini, spinach, ginger, and cinnamon is elevated with a swirl of tangy pomegranate juice. A little goes a long way, so just one tablespoon provides plenty of beneficial phytonutrients and sweetness.
This is a great smoothie to add into your rotation for improved gut health and longevity with some classic fall flavors.
Wishing you health and happiness,
Mark Hyman, MD
- ¾ cup zucchini or cucumber chunks, frozen
- ¾ cup vanilla nut milk of choice, unsweetened
- 2 tablespoons vanilla no-added-sugar collagen powder, or 1 scoop no-added-sugar vanilla protein powder
- 1 large handful spinach leaves
- 1 (½-inch) piece ginger, peeled
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
Pomegranate Coconut Topping
- 1 tablespoon 100% pomegranate juice
- 1 tablespoon canned coconut cream
- 1 tablespoon pomegranate seeds (optional)
1. Add all of the smoothie ingredients into a blender and purée just until smooth. Avoid over blending, so that it’s a slushy consistency.
2. To serve, add the smoothie base in a glass and top with the coconut cream, pomegranate juice, and optional pomegranate seeds. Gently swirl using a spoon or straw and enjoy!
Nutritional analysis per serving: Calories: 154, Total Fat: 6g, Saturated Fat: 4g, Cholesterol: 0mg, Sodium: 224mg, Carbohydrates: 14g, Fiber: 3g, Sugars: 8g, Protein: 13g, Net Carbs: 10g