This is my take on Zuppa Toscana, with plenty of nutrient-dense ingredients and maximum flavor.
I added ground turkey as the protein, swapped the white potatoes for parsnips, and used plenty of kale, onions, and garlic which are phytonutrient superstars normally used in this type of soup. Traditional Zuppa Toscana calls for heavy cream, which I replaced with coconut milk to make this version dairy-free but with the same rich texture.
I know some of you have said coconut doesn’t work for you, so if that’s the case you can try cashew cream instead or stick with pasture-raised dairy.
Turkey is an excellent protein source, with about 25 grams of protein per 3 ounces. Most of us have heard that the tryptophan in turkey can make us sleepy, but it’s important to note why—it’s metabolically transformed to bioactive metabolites that support better sleep and mood, like melatonin and serotonin.
I hope you enjoy this as much as I do.
Wishing you health and happiness,
Mark Hyman, MD
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil, divided
- 5 ounces shiitake mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 medium parsnip, diced (about 1 ½ cups)
- 1 small onion, diced
- 5 garlic cloves, microplaned
- ½ teaspoon fennel seeds
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon chili flakes
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ¾ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 pound ground turkey breast (pasture-raised if possible)
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- ⅓ cup canned full-fat coconut milk
- 2 cups chopped kale
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F.
2. Add a ½ tablespoon avocado oil to a large pot over medium heat. Once the oil is hot, add the shiitake mushrooms and fry until browned, about 5 minutes, then remove from the pot and set aside.
3. While the mushrooms cook, toss the diced parsnip with a ½ tablespoon of avocado oil and scatter out on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Transfer to the oven and bake for 25 minutes or until tender and slightly golden. Once ready, remove from the oven and set aside.
4. Add the remaining tablespoon of avocado oil to the pot followed by the onions. Sauté over medium heat until translucent, about 2 minutes, stirring constantly to avoid burning. Add the garlic, all of the spices, and season with the salt and pepper. Cook while stirring for 1 minute, until fragrant.
5. Add the ground turkey, and fry until fully cooked while using a spoon to break the turkey up, about 7 minutes.
6. Add the chicken broth and bring to a simmer. Cover and simmer for about 15 minutes.
7. After 15 minutes, add the coconut milk, kale, and the fried shiitake mushrooms. Simmer until the kale is tender, then remove from heat and serve.
8. Serve the soup topped with the crispy parsnips and a sprinkle of fresh rosemary. Enjoy!
Nutritional analysis per serving: Calories: 306, Total Fat: 12g, Saturated Fat: 4g, Cholesterol: 51mg, Sodium: 605mg, Carbohydrates: 21g, Fiber: 5g, Sugars: 6g, Protein: 29g, Net Carbs: 16g