Everyone loves a treat every now and then. This treat from my friends at Foursigmatic contains reishi mushrooms, which are one of my favorite superfoods. Reishi mushrooms contain powerful healing properties that boost your immune system and support healthy hormone production. When I want to indulge in some chocolate, this is the perfect recipe. Click here to view PDF version.
- 6 ounces dark chocolate (at least 70 to 80% cacao)
- 1 teaspoon reishi mushroom extract powder
- Pinch of ground cinnamon
- 1 cup raw almonds (unblanched, preferably soaked for at least 4 hours)
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Melt the chocolate in a double boiler over low heat, about 10 minutes. Add the reishi powder to the melted chocolate, stir well to combine, and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, combine cinnamon, and 1/3 cup water. Bring to a simmer over medium heat. When the mixture begins to simmer, stir in the almonds. Cook the nuts for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat.
- Add the almonds to the chocolate and stir until evenly coated. Spread the chocolate-covered almonds over the prepared baking sheet and set aside to cool, allowing them to harden for at least 1 hour before serving. ***Reprinted from Healing Mushrooms: A Practical and Culinary Guide To Using Mushrooms for Whole Body Health by arrangement with Avery, an imprint of Penguin Publishing Group, a division of Penguin Random House LLC. Copyright © 2017, Tero Isokauppila.
Nutritional analysis per serving
calories 243 • carbohydrates 20 g • fiber 3 g • protein 5.5 g • fat 16 g • cholesterol 7 mg • sodium 23 mg