This week’s recipe comes from Ailsa Cowell, Integrative Nutritionist and blogger at Food to Feel Good. These Baked Everything Carrot Fries are a refreshing and easy alternative to traditional fries; they’re lower in carbs and packed with antioxidant carotenoids to support healthy skin, balanced hormones, and a strong immune system. The avocado oil used in this recipe contains heart-healthy fats, a great replacement for the inflammatory trans fats found in most fast-food fryers. Dipped in a creamy Garlic Avocado Aioli, these carrot fries are a nutrient-dense and satisfying side dish for all your upcoming summer parties. Get the PDF version here.
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil + 1 teaspoon, divided
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
- 6 large carrots
- 3 tablespoons Everything but the Bagel Sesame Seasoning
- 1 bulb of garlic
- 1 tablespoon coconut milk
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 avocado
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Combine 2 tablespoons of avocado oil and ground flaxseed in a small bowl, stir well, and set aside for at least 5 minutes.
- Wash carrots and dry really well. Cut carrots into even-sized sticks, then add to a bowl with the flaxseed and avocado oil mixture and toss to coat. Add the Everything Seasoning and again toss until well coated.
- Cut the top off the bulb of garlic and drizzle with remaining 1 teaspoon of avocado oil, rubbing it all over and inside. Cover with parchment paper then completely wrap with tin foil.
- Spread carrot fries evenly on a baking sheet, so that they’re not touching. Place wrapped bulb of garlic on the side of the pan and bake for 12 minutes. Turn each carrot fry and bake for another 12-14 minutes, until they’re golden and toasted and the garlic feels soft. Turn off the oven but leave the fries inside to stay warm, while you make the aioli.
- When the garlic is ready, add it to a blender with coconut milk, avocado, lemon juice, and sea salt, and blend well until creamy. Serve Garlic Avocado Aioli alongside warm Baked Everything Carrot Fries and enjoy!
Nutritional analysis per serving (if serving 4, fries plus aioli)
calories 263 • fat 17g • carbohydrates 14g • sugar 5g • protein 2g