This dip is true to its name! Traditional spinach artichoke dip is made with lots of dairy and served up with processed carbs. My take on it uses a nut-based mozzarella cheese but can also be substituted with goat cheese, and it uses plenty of healthy fats from coconut and avocado oil to give you a perfectly creamy dip.
Artichokes and spinach are both great sources of folate for cell growth and function and DNA synthesis, repair, and protection. They also contain vitamin K, which plays an essential role in blood clotting, bone strength, and vitamin D activity.
For a healthy appetizer, serve my All-Time Favorite Spinach Artichoke Dip with lots of veggies and your favorite grain-free chips or crackers.
Wishing you health and happiness,
Mark Hyman, MD
- 1 tablespoon ghee or coconut oil
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 16 ounces fresh or frozen spinach (for fresh, lightly sauté until wilted and drain, for frozen, thaw and drain
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can artichokes, drained and roughly chopped
- 1 cup avocado mayonnaise
- ⅓ cup coconut cream, solid white part only
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- ¾ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon chili flakes
- 4 ounces Miyoko's vegan mozzarella cheese (optional, or can be substituted with goat mozzarella)
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F.
2. Melt the ghee or coconut oil in a cast iron (or oven-proof) skillet over medium heat and add the onions, sauté for 3 minutes until translucent and fragrant. Add the garlic and sauté for an additional 2 minutes, stirring occasionally to avoid burning.
3. Remove from heat. Add the spinach, artichokes, avocado mayonnaise, coconut cream, nutritional yeast, sea salt, and chili flakes. Stir until well combined, then gently press down the surface with the back of a spoon.
4. Top with the mozzarella (if using). Transfer the skillet to the preheated oven and bake for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, turn the oven to broil and move the rack to an upper level. Broil the dip until the cheese is melted and slightly golden, about 5 minutes.
5. Serve hot with grain-free tortilla chips or veggie sticks.
Nutritional analysis per serving Calories: 351, Total Fat: 32g, Saturated Fat: 8g, Cholesterol: 34mg, Fiber: 5g, Protein: 5g, Carbohydrates: 19g, Net Carbs: 13g, Sodium: 700mg, Sugars: 8g