I don’t always love a hot soup in the summer, so this Cucumber Pepper Gazpacho is the perfect alternative. It’s got cucumber, bell pepper, basil, and lemon for a light and refreshing brunch, lunch, or dinner, alongside your favorite protein.
Cucumbers are a great way to boost hydration without guzzling more water and bell peppers are incredibly rich in skin-supporting vitamin C. Studies have found basil may reduce age-related memory loss and stress-related depression and may improve fasting blood sugar and triglycerides. When it’s abundant this time of year I try to use it as much as possible.
Wishing you health and happiness,
Mark Hyman, MD
We're grateful for our sponsor:
- 4 Persian cucumbers, ends trimmed, roughly chopped
- 2 green bell peppers, seeded, roughly chopped
- 2 medium zucchini, ends trimmed, roughly chopped
- 8 large basil leaves
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 cup sheep yogurt (save ¼ cup for garnish)
- ¼ cup olive oil (save 1 tablespoon for garnish)
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 ½ cup filtered water
- 1 Persian cucumber
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts
- 1 yellow summer squash
- 1 chili pepper
- Basil leaves
1. For the soup base: Combine all of the ingredients into a high-speed blender (make sure to reserve some of the yogurt and olive oil for garnish). Purée until everything is well blended and smooth.
2. Transfer into the refrigerator to chill while preparing the garnishes.
3. Toast pine nuts over medium heat for 3 minutes while stirring to avoid burning.
4. Prepare the garnish veggies: Finely dice the cucumber. Create ribbons from the summer squash using a vegetable peeler. Thinly slice the chili pepper.
5. To serve, remove the soup from the refrigerator, pulse in the blender a couple times to re-incorporate everything. Distribute the soup into 4 bowls then garnish with pine nuts, diced cucumber, squash ribbons, sliced chili pepper, the remaining yogurt, and a drizzle of the remaining olive oil. Finish with fresh basil leaves and enjoy the soup while chilled.
Nutritional analysis per serving: Calories: 261, Total Fat: 19g, Saturated Fat: 4g, Cholesterol: 14mg, Sodium: 347mg, Carbohydrates: 21g, Fiber: 4g, Sugars: 11g, Protein: 8g, Net Carbs: 16g