This week we are featuring a recipe from our favorite ghee company, Fourth & Heart! Their ghee is top-notch quality, sourced only from pasture-raised cows in New Zealand. This recipe is the perfect combination of sweetness from the butternut squash and savory from the White Truffle Ghee. It’s a great option for any meal of the day. Enjoy! Click here to view PDF version.
Poached Eggs Over Roasted Butternut Squash
- 1 medium butternut squash
- 6 cups filtered water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt, divided
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 2 large pasture-raised eggs
- 1 tablespoon Fourth & Heart White Truffle Ghee
- 1 medium avocado, sliced
- Preheat the oven to 450°F.
- Place the whole, unopened butternut squash on a baking tray and place the tray into the oven to roast for about 25 minutes or until a fork can easily puncture the squash.
- When the squash has about 10 minutes left, begin to prepare the eggs. Fill a 2-quart sauce pan with the filtered water (water should come 1 inch up the side of the pan). Place on the stove and add 1 teaspoon sea salt and the vinegar. Bring the water to a simmer over medium heat.
- Crack the eggs into two small separate bowls. Use the handle of a spatula or spoon to quickly stir the water in one direction until the water is smoothly spinning. TIP: Only use this whirlpool method when poaching a single serving of one or two eggs.
- Carefully add the first egg into the center of the spinning, simmering water and then add the second egg. The swirling water will help prevent the white from feathering or spreading out in the pan.
- Turn off the heat, cover the pan and set your timer for 5 minutes and do not open the pan or touch the eggs.
- Remove the squash from the oven. Cut in half and remove the seeds using a spoon. Place each half of the squash into two small bowls and add 1/2 tablespoon of Fourth & Heart White Truffle Ghee to each half and allow to melt.
- When eggs are done, remove from the pan one at a time using a slotted spoon and place one on each half of the squash. Garnish with the remaining salt and half of a sliced avocado per serving. Serve immediately. TIP: You can pre-poach the eggs, cool in an ice bath and refrigerate for up to 8 hours. When ready to enjoy, simply reheat in warm water just before serving.
Nutritional analysis per serving (one bowl)
calories 455 • fat 27g • protein 12g • carbohydrate 46g • sodium 483 mg