This month, I’m featuring recipes from my new book, Food: What the Heck Should I Eat? which is out on February 27th! This is a tasty and super-easy meal that can be on the table in less than 20 minutes. You can easily use 1 pound of chicken or beef in place of the tofu as well as different vegetables depending on what’s available and in season. Click here to view PDF version.
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 large red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, and julienned
- 2 large broccoli heads (about 1 pound total), cut into small florets
- 1⁄2-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 1 pound non-GMO firm tofu, drained and crumbled
- 2 tablespoons wheat-free tamari
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable broth or filtered water
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot
- 2 tablespoons filtered water
- 1 tablespoon white sesame seeds
- 1⁄4 cup loosely packed cilantro leaves, roughly chopped
- Heat the sesame oil in a large skillet or wok over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add the peppers and broccoli, toss to combine, and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in the ginger and cook for 1 minute. Then add the crumbled tofu and stir until the tofu is well combined.
- Add the tamari, vinegar, and broth, and bring to a simmer. While the tofu cooks, combine the arrowroot with the water and pour the mixture into the pan. Stir well and simmer for another 2 to 3 minutes to allow the liquid to thicken.
- Step 3: Divide the tofu among four bowls and serve immediately, garnished with the sesame seeds and cilantro. This dish serves up nicely with the Cauliflower Rice.
Nutritional analysis per serving
calories 176 • fat 9 g • saturated fat 1 g • cholesterol 0 mg • fiber 4 g • protein 14 g • carbohydrate 13 g • sodium 382 mg