I don’t know about you, but I am all about soup season. This creamy Roasted Eggplant & Coconut Soup is super satisfying on its own but also pairs well with a big salad or any of your favorite proteins.
Eggplant, leek, garlic, and thyme all offer healthspan-boosting polyphenols and several phytocompounds that encourage a resilient immune system, like vitamin C, allicin, and thymol. Coconut milk adds some beneficial fats that, when blended with the roasted eggplant, creates a smooth and rich texture with a just slightly smoky flavor.
This is a great recipe to make for meal-prep—use leftovers throughout the week or just pop them in the freezer and defrost in the fridge prior to warming.
I hope you love it as much as I do.
Wishing you health and happiness,
Mark Hyman, MD
- 3 large eggplant
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 1 leek, white and green parts, thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced
- 5 sprigs fresh thyme
- 6 cups filtered water
- 1 (14-ounce) can coconut milk, unsweetened
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons white miso
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts, lightly toasted
- 2 tablespoons chives, chopped
- Fresh ground black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 450°F.
2. Lay the whole eggplants in a parchment paper lined baking dish, roast for 50 minutes, until the outer skin is charred.
3. Remove from the oven and peel the eggplants, discard skin. Place the eggplant in a colander to allow excess liquids to drain.
4. While the eggplants are draining, add the avocado oil and leeks to a large pot over medium heat, sauté for 4 minutes. Add the garlic and continue to sauté for 1 more minute.
5. Destem the thyme and add to the pot along with the eggplant, water, coconut milk, and salt. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
6. After 30 minutes, add the miso and blend the soup until smooth. You can use an immersion blender or a regular blender that has steam vents for blending hot foods.
7. Serve the soup with pine nuts, chives, and fresh ground black pepper to garnish each bowl.
Nutritional analysis per serving: Calories: 198, Total Fat: 8g, Saturated Fat: 2g, Cholesterol: 0mg, Sodium: 591mg, Carbohydrates: 34g, Fiber: 10g, Sugars: 12g, Protein: 4g, Net Carbs: 24g