I love a savory breakfast, and this recipe for Crispy Egg Wraps with a chopped veggie salad is a quick and easy way to enjoy one.
Eggs are one of my most consistent go-to protein sources. They’re also a rich source of choline, a nutrient that an estimated 90% of US adults are deficient in that is critical for metabolism, neurotransmitter synthesis, brain development, and more. In eggs, choline is naturally bound to phospholipids which aid in their digestion and absorption—a pretty cool example of nutrient synergy!
The warm and crispy wrap pairs perfectly with the fresh cucumber, tomato, and olive salad to create a full meal that hits all the important nutritional marks. There is research that shows eating a protein-rich breakfast reduces cravings and overall caloric intake throughout the day, compared to one rich in carbohydrates and sugar. I hope you love it.
Wishing you health and happiness,
Mark Hyman, MD
- Olive Oil for greasing pan
- 4 rice paper sheets
- 8 large pasture-raised eggs
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt, divided
- ¼ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper, divided
- 4 Persian cucumbers, finely chopped
- 16 cherry tomatoes, sliced
- ¼ red onion, finely chopped
- 16 black olives, pitted and sliced
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
1. Heat a frying pan over medium heat and lightly coat with olive oil.
2. Once the pan is hot, place one rice paper in the hot pan, crack two eggs on top of the rice paper, and season with salt and pepper (divided accordingly between all the servings).
3. Allow the rice paper to soften slightly, then fold it in half using a spatula. Press the wrap down with the spatula to slightly flatten it and fry for 1 minute. Flip the wrap and fry for 1 more minute. Remove from heat (you can keep warm in the toaster oven) and repeat with the remaining wraps.
4. Add all of the salad ingredients to a bowl and toss until well combined.
5. Serve the egg wraps warm with the salad on the side.
Nutritional analysis per serving: Calories: 373, Total Fat: 27g, Saturated Fat: 6g, Cholesterol: 370mg, Sodium: 973mg, Carbohydrates: 19g, Fiber: 3g, Sugars: 3g, Protein: 14g, Net Carbs: 15g