Craving some comfort food? We’ve got you covered. This dish is deliciously comforting, guilt-free, and perfect for vegetarians and meat eaters! Enjoy for lunch or dinner, or serve with eggs for breakfast. Yummy! Please click here for printable PDF.
- ½ pound green beans
- ½ pound (1 large crown) broccoli
- 1 medium sized carrot, cut into thin rounds
- 1 medium sized red onion, sliced thin
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 2-3 tablespoons ume plum vinegar
- For the Smashed Potatoes:
- 1 pound yams or sweet potato
- 1-inch piece ginger, peeled
- Juice of 1 lime
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- ¼ cup cilantro leaves
- 4 ounces dry roasted cashews, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- Peel and cut the yam/sweet potatoes into large chunks. Add to a small sauce pan with 1 cup of water and cover. On medium-high heat, steam the potatoes until they can be easily pierced with a knife. Remove from the heat then use a potato masher to smash the potatoes until chunky. Grate the ginger into the potatoes and add the juice of 1 lime and 2 tablespoons of coconut oil. Stir well to incorporate. Set aside and keep warm.
- While the potatoes steam, heat 8 cups of salted water in a large pan over medium heat until it comes to a simmer. In batches, blanch the green beans and broccoli just until soft, about 2-3 minutes, and then place into a bowl of ice water to stop the cooking process. Once cooled, drain well, and set aside.
- Heat a large skillet and add the remaining coconut oil. Cook the onions for 2 to 3 minutes before adding the carrot and garlic. Stir to incorporate, and then add the green beans and broccoli. Stir well until all is evenly heated. Add the ume plum vinegar (to taste) and cover to steam for 1 minute.
- To serve, divide the smashed potatoes onto 2 plates and top each serving with the stir fry. Garnish with the cilantro, cashews, and a drizzle of toasted sesame oil.
Nutritional analysis per serving
Calories 678 • Total fat 54 g • Fiber 8 g • Protein 14 g • Sodium 4,780 mg Note: For low sodium option, omit the vinegar