You’re going to love this simple take a spinach salad. Baking a layer of miso and crackling it over a bed of spinach and toasted leeks is the key to this flavorful recipe, which is great on its own or alongside grilled chicken, steak, or mushrooms.
Spinach is a powerhouse leafy green, offering insoluble fiber, antioxidant vitamins A and C, bone-building vitamin K and calcium, and plant-based iron. Leeks have a milder and sweeter taste than an onion along with beta-carotene and kaempferol, a polyphenol antioxidant thought to protect against certain types of cancer.
I hope you make this recipe a new part of your salad rotation.
Wishing you health and happiness,
Mark Hyman, MD
- ¼ cup organic miso paste
- ½ cup avocado oil
- 1 leek, both white and green parts, halved and thinly sliced
- ½ teaspoon Maldon flake salt
- 1 large shallot, peeled and finely diced
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 Meyer lemon, juiced (regular lemons work too)
- 3 tablespoons truffle-infused olive oil (regular olive oil works too)
- 10 ounces baby spinach, washed and dried
1. Preheat the oven to 190°F.
2. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Spread the miso paste as thinly as possible using a soft spatula or icing spatula. Bake for 45 minutes or until browned, checking frequently towards the end to avoid burning. Remove from the oven, cool slightly, then crumble into pieces and set aside. This can be made ahead of time, just store it in an airtight container.
3. Heat the avocado oil in a small skillet over medium-high heat. Toss the leeks into the skillet with the oil and fry until lightly browned and crisp, about 2-3 minutes. Drain the oil from the leeks and lay them on a paper towel, sprinkle with flake salt.
4. Whisk the shallot, lime, lemon, and truffle-infused olive oil together in a small bowl to create a vinaigrette.
5. Toss the spinach with the shallot vinaigrette, then top the salad with the crackled miso and crispy leeks.
Nutritional analysis per serving Calories: 268, Total Fat: 26g, Saturated Fat: 3g, Cholesterol: 0mg, Fiber: 2g, Protein: 2g, Carbohydrates: 8g, Net Carbs: 7g, Sodium: 742mg, Sugars: 3g